To All My Mothers

Mother's Day falls every year. And, most years we wouldn't acknowledge it. Every once in a while I'd send you a gift and tell you it was a combination gift for your birthday in June and for Mother's Day. When school stopped helping us craft things for you, I'm not sure if we continued. When I finally began to understand what other mothers did, I knew that you weren't the same. But, I do know that you loved us in your way. We were still your children, all three of us. 
10 year old (?) me and my mom

This year's Mother's Day is a reminder of both what I don't have but also a reminder of the amazing community of women that I have been surrounded with. My mothers are many people. My mother is my Aunt, who has been a constant in life and whose presence dates back to before she became a mom to my three fantastic cousins. My mother is my Nana, who if not for her, our family would have never come to be. My mother was my nanny growing up who cooked our meals, braided our hair, drove us to our sports games and was there for many of the milestones my mom wasn't. My mother is my grade three librarian Mrs. T who further encouraged my love of books. My mothers are my grade school teachers. My mothers are your mothers - they're the mothers of my friends growing up who would treat me like an extension of their wonderful families. My mothers are the amazing women I meet in my professional life that show me that you can be both a good mom and a successful career woman. 


When I think of the phrase, "It takes a village to raise a child", I see my experience as a great example of this. Truly, it does. Thank you to all of the Mothers out there! 


Comments

Popular Posts